In ancient times, knowing how to use the sword meant life or death. One had to find a way to practice without being maimed or killed in the process. Eventually armor was developed and the metal sword was replaced with a flexible bamboo sword. Today, various kinds of Weapon Fighting is enjoyed all over the world in different martial arts. Here in Hwa Rang Do our weapon practice is divided into 2 sections Bongtoogi (Stick Fighting) & Gumtoogi (Sword Fighting). Within each of these areas there are different types of weapons and skills that are used so that practitioners can grasp a good understanding of dealing with weapons and all types of external objects. Unlike traditional Kumdo (Kendo), our style is unique as we incorporate both linear and circular attacks and leg strikes as we deal with the different types of weapons.
Gumtoogi is a ground breaking evolution in Eastern Sword Fighting Philosophy. Innovated by 8th Dan Grandmaster Taejoon Lee, this new application of Sword Fighting is the first in history to include leg strikes, completely changing the way two warriors face off against each other. Gumtoogi is also the only Sword Fighting System that matches competitors with different sword types against each other; from long swords, short swords, twin swords, and hundreds of other weapon combinations.
Go here to learn more: http://www.gumtoogi.com/
Bongtoogi takes Stick Fighting to the next level through its varied use of weaponry. Innovated by 8th Dan Grandmaster Taejoon Lee, this new application of Stick Fighting is the first in history to include leg strikes, completely changing the way two warriors face off against each other. Bongtoogi is also the only Weapon Fighting System that matches competitors with different stick types against each other; from the long staff, short staff, double sticks, and hundreds of other weapon combinations.
Why Should I Do Mugi Daeryun?
One cannot be a complete HRD student without a good knowledge of weaponry and the Mugi Daeryun class is the best way to accomplish this without the risk of injury.
· Understand the value of weapons as a defensive tool
· Develop a greater concentrated focused mind while engaging the opponent
· By learning to control external objects, gain greater control of the self”
· Develop greater speed, stamina, an awareness with the intensive training
· Ultimately, learn to attain the state of “No Mind” or void – a state of non-thinking and non-feeling with the highest level of awareness
· It’s a lot of FUN!
Who Can Learn?
· Both Adult & Junior Members
· All Tae Jun Sa Members (required)
· All HRD Students (strongly recommended)
· Non-traditional students can take just the Mugi Daeryun class with interview with the instructor.
What do I Need?
· Uniform – Jacket & Hakama
· Jukdo – Bamboo Sword
· Armor (when you are ready)
The Mugi Daeryun Class meets:
Saturdays 10:00am to 11:30am for Adults & Teens
During the Friday night “Fight Night” time there will be space available to continue practice on these concepts and skills, as well as time for additional sparring matches. Please see the full schedule for all other class times.
For Kid’s Weapon Fighting Information
PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR THE DETAILS!