At the 2013 MUSA Challenge Tournament here in Minneapolis, our dojang publicly launched our own local non-profit mission focused on youth development. The programming offered here in terms of our regular classes, afterschool, and summer camp program is unparalleled, and we intend to strengthen our own abilities, get engaged in more community outreach, and eventually work to build a Charter/Public Educational School!
We obviously have some big goals on the horizon, however, Continue reading
Testing, Classes, Tournament & Seminars!
Summer is certainly in full swing these days! Been having fun with camps, and of course classes moving right along. I did want to drop in some reminders about July events – there is actually quite a bit of stuff upcoming.
1) This weekend is actually our last weekend regular classes! Friday Junior TGT, Acrobop, and Open Gym Fight Night Practice. Saturday Kid’s Sword Fighting, Teen/Adult Weaponry, Adults Sparring & Grappling. Hope you can make it in for some good weekend workouts!
2) The next test is coming up, next week! We would do tip tests during class on Wednesday and Thursday, and then full belt level tests on Friday and Saturday. Make sure to get your paperwork in if you are doing a full belt test.
3) The Hwa Rang Do World Championships are now ONLY 2 WEEKS AWAY!!! This is definitely the biggest event in the Midwest regional history for our martial art, and we are looking for a great turnout from the entire region. I know the Madison, WI folks are extremely fired up, as I have been getting some friendly trash talk from some of the instructors. All in good nature for sure – but they are looking to bring a nice challenge to the Minneapolis contingency. I know some people still need to get registered for this incredible event – so please make sure to go online and take care of that as soon as you can. The tournament is on July 26th and 27th – and then there are seminars with our head Grandmasters during the following week. This is a super important event, that will be sure to educate and inspire everyone who participates. And at minimum, it would be great to at least make it for the tournament. Again, the tournament has events for ALL ages, ALL levels, and will be a huge highlight! (it is run similar to how we run our event each fall – just will include more people from around the region, and world!)
If you haven’t registered already just go here online to take care of it all: http://summer.hwarangdowi.com/
4) The Minneapolis Dojang WILL BE CLOSED during the tournament and seminar events since the majority people will be there – especially all instructors. There will be summer camp on July 25th, however NO OTHER CLASSES Friday the 25th through Saturday August 2nd. Everything will be back to normal Monday August 3rd.
5) There are also some spaces left in the summer camps that were running here locally. It would be fun to see some more people join the crew, and especially if you’re heading the Madison for tournament the kids can get in a good amount of extra practice to prepare for the events. August camps have some space too, so just connect up if you want to get registered! All the info on each week session is online right: http://tlksummercamp.com/
6) We are also accepting enrollments for our Afterschool Programming too these days – and after crunching some numbers in terms of facility/staffing/kids, we are going to be putting on a cap in terms of space on the program this year. Everyone who has been enrolled in the past definitely has a space secured if you want it. Also, new siblings will get preferential treatment – however it looks like we will be able fill the place up this fall! Thanks again for your support & involvement – it is so exciting to work with a great group of kids and build strength, confidence, and health every day! http://tlkafterschool.com/tlk/index/
OK, that’s all for now – so best wishes in your training before an awesome championship in a couple weeks!
Instructor Dylan Sirny
& The Hwa Rang Do Martial Art Academy
That’s right just over a month to go until Summer hits Minnesota and we are gearing up for our incredible Summer Camps. Make sure you get registered ASAP as there is a limit on spaces. To learn more just visit our Summer Camp Website here: http://tlksummercamp.com
OK, it’s official another winter blast is roaring up and Minneapolis Programming is canceled for afternoon. Things are starting to get slippery so try and get home early everyone. I am sure its going to get messy soon – so NO CLASSES AT THE DOJANG TODAY THURSDAY 2/20. Continue reading
Do you want a date night with your loved one? A Date night that lasts until the next morning? We have the event for you!!
We are having an overnight Lock-in Fundraiser on February 14th. All Donations will be tax deductible and will go to TLK to help make our fundraising goal for 2014 – and proceeds for this event will be specifically dedicated to our new Continue reading
Just roll with it everyone, nothin’ else to do. Schools are canceled on Monday, but the Dojang is open!
MONDAY RELEASE DAY
Again, TLK, regular kids, and the public are welcome. Dress warm on the way here, and we will stay warm with inside action!
Cost: $43 per child ($10 off)
Lunch: Hot Dogs
Time: 8:30am drop off, pick up by 6pm Continue reading
Hello folks, it is once again a REGULAR weekend of classes this time around – Testing is NEXT week. I know that fall & the holidays were busy, but it is nice to be back to a regular groove for weekend training once again. So as a reminder anytime Continue reading
The hwarang traditions stem from an ancient culture, very different from the modern world. It is our challenge as the new hwarang to find ways to bring the spirit of the hwarang into our modern age. In some ways this challenge seems very difficult, but I have found so many of my attempts at the application to be surprisingly simple. One of the problems of the modern world is our tendency to complicate life – externally with material things (TVs, computers, “smart” phones, etc) and with interpersonal relationships (1,125 friends on Facebook but not a one ever met in person), and internally by ignoring ourselves and filling our lives with noise and distraction. So, yes, there is much to do, and therefore the task of bringing the hwarang way into our lives seems difficult – but in reality, the answer is so simple. Continue reading
Hello everyone – we have pretty much most of the dates and events online now for 2014, so please check out our newly enhanced Dojang website! The calendar feature is through Google Calendar too, so feel free to subscribe over there with your accounts and everything will connect up just fine and you can stay on top of all the happenings here!
http://hwarangdominneapolis.com/wp/resources/event-calendar/ Continue reading
Friday January 17th – MPLS Schools Closed
We will be taking a field trip to the Raptor Center!!
Pizzas For lunch!!
8:30am-6pm! Continue reading